Thursday, December 19, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup





Butternut Squash Soup
(adapted from Betty Crocker)

One of my favorites ever!  I've made this soup a few times this year, trying to find exactly the right recipe.  And I finally hit it.  Most recipes have you peel and chop the squash, but I roast mine, it's much easier, and gives it a great flavor.

2 tbs butter
2 medium butternut squash
2 large apples, peeled, chopped
1 large onion chopped
2 tbs brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
squash seeds (optional garnish)
nutmeg (optional garnish)

Preheat oven to 375.
Cut the ends off of the squash, scoop out the seeds.  I save the seeds and bake them and use them as a garnish.  Place them skin side down on a baking sheet.  Bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes to an hour.  

Once the squash has cooled enough scoop out the flesh.

Saute' onions in a couple tablespoons of butter, until softened.  Add the apples, broth, salt, cinnamon, pepper and squash.  Bring to a boil and simmer covered until apples are soft.  

In batches, pour the soup into a blender, or food processor (I use my vitamix), and process until smooth.  Once it has all been pureed, return to a clean pot and heat until warmed.  Ladle into bowls and top with baked squash seeds and a dash of nutmeg.





No comments:

Post a Comment