Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Not-Fried Tomatoes



I have an abundance of tomatoes from my garden.  Home grown tomatoes are one of my all time favorites!  There is nothing like a home grown tomato.  So, I've been making lots of Pasta Sauce, Bruschetta, Salsa and Roasted Tomatoes.  This is a twist on the "Fried Green Tomatoes" that are a traditional southern dish.  I adapted it from Everyday Food Magazine.  You can use any color tomatoes, I happen to be growing red, you just want a firm tomato.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5 cups cornflakes, crushed
salt and pepper
2 lb. firm tomatoes (any color) cut in 1/4 inch rounds
ranch dressing for serving

Preheat oven to 425.  Place wire racks in rimmed baking sheets.




Place flour, eggs and cornflakes in three separate shallow dishes an dseason each with salt and pepper.  Dip each tomato slice in flour, then egg, then cornflakes, pressing lightly so it sticks.



Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on racks and bake until deep golden brown, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Serve with ranch dressing.


What's your favorite thing in your garden (or from some one else's garden)?

Blessings,
Chellie

2 comments:

  1. Surprise! Tag - I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Click on the link for info and don't forget to pay it forward :). Keep up the great work!
    http://www.heavenlytreatsandtreasures.com/2012/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! this looks so good. My mom used to fry green tomatoes, but I have never done it because although I do fry things...somethings I just rather not. But these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete