Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spoon Bread (corn)


This recipe comes from Deep South Dish.  I love corn bread, and had been on a search for a really good one.  And I found one.  Then when I went to make it for our St. Patricks Day mystery dinner, I couldn't find my recipe!  Thank goodness for the internet!  This recipe is real close to the one I had.  We all thought it was really good.  Another thing I love about it...You can use Jiffy corn bread mix, OR she gave a substitute (made from scratch) for the mix, which is what I did.

Ingredients

1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
2 cups of frozen corn
1 (15 ounce) can of cream corn
1 cup of sour cream
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup of shredded mild cheddar, Monterey jack, or your favorite cheese, optionalInstructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a 9 x 13 inch dish

Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, salt, pepper, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the frozen corn and remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into prepared casserole dish, and bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30-45 min. (start checking at 30 min) or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.

Here's the original recipe: http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2009/11/corn-spoon-bread.html

No comments:

Post a Comment